A visit to Yorkshire is a must for anyone wanting to truly experience the English countryside. Steeped in history, overflowing with natural beauty and home to some of the country’s best stately homes and museums, it’s no wonder the area attracts so many visitors each year. The great thing about the Yorkshire Dales is that there’s something for everyone. People who enjoy peace and solitude are catered for as well as those who love a bit of adventure. This guide outlines some of the top reasons for visiting this part of the world.
1. The scenery. You’d be hard-pushed to find the same rolling hills and charming villages anywhere else in the world. As a result the area is extremely popular with walkers, cyclists and even artists. Pop into one of the local tourist information centres for advice about the best routes for exploring the Yorkshire Dales.
2. Traditional Yorkshire cuisine. Yorkshire is famous for numerous tasty treats including Yorkshire tea, Yorkshire puddings, Parkin and Wensleydale cheese, many of which can be enjoyed in one of the cosy tearooms the area has to offer. Yorkshire also has several breweries so sampling the local beer is a definite must.
3. Stately homes. There’s no place like home, but after seeing the grandeur of some of Yorkshire’s stately homes, you might change your mind. Some of the best to visit are Castle Howard, Harewood House and Temple Newsam.
4. Museums. Yorkshire is scattered with museums for everything from medicine and military to media and mining. If you’re a history buff then head to the Royal Armouries or Eden Camp. If you’ve got kids, the National Media Museum or Eureka is a safe bet.
5. A range of accommodation. If you’re a bit of an adventurer then Yorkshire Dales has an abundance of campsites to choose from. Or, if you prefer a bit more comfort in your accommodation check out holiday homes to rent the UK or opt for a cosy B&B.
6. Transport. The Yorkshire Dales is generally very easy to navigate. There is a good train network and various local bus services to get to the more remote areas.
7. Family-friendly. If you have kids in tow, you won’t be stuck for things to do. If you’ve exhausted all the museums, there’s always Lightwater Valley theme park or White Scar Cave.
8. Close to major cities. If you’ve had your fill of peace and quiet you can always head to nearby cities of Leeds, York or Sheffield for good nightlife, music, shopping and restaurants.
9. History. Yorkshire’s past as a mining area and cotton manufacturer is deeply entrenched in its character and everywhere you go you can see relics of its former past.
10. Famous faces. Matthew Lewis, the Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, David Hockney and Jessica Ennis all come from Yorkshire. You never know you might spot one of them.
Hopefully, this guide will inspire you to try somewhere different and visit the Yorkshire Dales. Once you’ve experienced the atmosphere and tranquillity of this part of the world, it’s easy to see why so many people choose to visit.